Friday, March 21, 2008

Is Jeremiah Wright really evil?

If you've turned on the news, radio or opened a newspaper within the last couple weeks, this name should ring a bell. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama's ex-minister and international man of mystery.

Sure, right now he's the media's "it" guy. But is the picture really as ugly as they paint it to be?

A summary of Wright's speeches can be found here.


Image source: AP file photo

The question: is Wright really the evil, anti-American force that certain members of the media will have us believe?

I don't think so. It's common for a minister or preacher to use strong language to capture the hearts and minds of their followers. The "shock value" in his words becomes an important tool in attracting the attention of the masses.
It's the same reason so many people listened to Howard Stern, regardless of whether they liked or hated him. His shenanigans had so much shock value, people couldn't tear themselves away.


I also find it interesting that the media seems to have forgotten all about Obama's affiliation with yet another "shocking" minister...


Image source: NYTimes Online

As a white guy I know I don't have much say, but I think Sharpton is much worse. At least Wright seems to care about his people, not just his own personal agenda. The media? All day long they discuss the Obama-Wright connection, but I didn't hear or see anything on the cable news networks about Obama-Sharpton. Only when I Googled the two did I finally find some articles.


Moving on to the question of patriotism. Conservative pundits say Jeremiah Wright is unpatriotic and that so is Obama for not distancing himself "far enough" from Wright. But I ask you... is it unpatriotic to question the state of the nation in which we live?

All things considered, with the global situation today you cannot be a patriot and quietly support our looming downfall. The true patriot today is one who does not accept the actions of the current administration. The true patriot will not sit by and watch this nation sign it's own death warrant. The anti-patriot sees the U.S. and the world as two separate entities, who must be in competition. He doesn't ask why or how, only follows blindly. This apathy by those who consider themselves patriots gives the current administration license to kill.

So I ask you again... is it unpatriotic to question the state of the nation in which we live?

If you live in the world as a whole, you just can't help but say... God. Damn. America.

10 comments:

The Jaded NYer said...

OOH! I *hate* Al Sharpton so much can FEEL it deep in my bones, you hear me??

That guy sullies EVERYTHING he touches and I cringe whenever I see his permed head talking nonsense to whomever will give him a mic and some airtime!!

That said, I think those who are calling Wright unpatriotic need to go back to American History class and realize that questioning the government and pushing for change in the administration is just how we've rolled since day one!

Pan/Thanatos said...

I'm glad you agree! I hate the guy too, but I can't say so publicly because I'm white, foreign born and in the current atmosphere would be labeled racist.
I don't think he cares at all about black people... he just wants to see a resurgence of the bloody struggles of the 1960's.
And the fact that he's now a Fox News channel contributer speaks for itself.

Anonymous said...

I think that your question is a provocative one and one we sorely need to ask ourselves as a nation.

I think (and I'm pretty sure our founding fathers would agree)that questioning our government is the very essence of patriotism. We speak out not because we hate our country but because we love it and want to see it bettered.

For some reason we have it backwards these day.

And furthermore I don't want the government defining patriotism for me.

Anonymous said...

And I hate Al Sharpton too (loud mouthed bitch).

1/3 said...

I agree with jaded. I don't really like Al Sharpton. He talks a good game but never follows through with his actions.

I don't think its unpatriotic at all to question the state of the nation. After all this mess that Bush and congress combined did the economy, why wouldnt leaders wonder about the state of America. Everyone wants changes to be made to better serve the american people. I think thats why Obama is so appealing.

Anyway, just leaving my 2 cents lol

Anonymous said...

It's strange how the same situation exists in Sri Lanka, where the situation is on a much larger scale than in the States. Any hint of questioning the actions of the government is now sufficient for all sorts of horrendous repercussions.

Patriotism - the last refuge of scoundrels? Check http://javajones.wordpress.com/2006/11/04/42/
for something I wrote on it.

Cheers!

Pan/Thanatos said...

Thanks for the great feedback, all of you!
If you really love this country, then you'd hate what it's become. That's my new slogan.
Like Desiree said, so many people have it backwards and that's scary.
In a way, I think this fight is more about who gets to brainwash the next generation than it is about the presidency.

Pan/Thanatos said...

Oh and Java...
Sad situation in Sri Lanka. I remember back when they used to literally bomb and strafe civilian targets.. just terrible.
Also read your post, thanks for the link. Certainly sets the record straight! =)

Anonymous said...

if you dont like america get the fuck you!and how about G D u!!!!BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pan/Thanatos said...

Hey anonymous...
Thanks for enlightening me with your remarkably bad grammar.
I think you just made my point for me in one sentence, when I used a whole page. =)