Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Has technology killed the romance star? - Not quite!

For some time I've held the belief that technology has completely killed everyday romance in our lives. It just seems to me like romance requires effort - like the olden days. There was no means for instant communication or express transportation. When you did see your love it was truly romantic. Now-a-days it's all at the tips of your fingers. As a result, "romantic" has become replaced by such adjectives as "sweet," "cute," "corny," "hot," etc.


So, browsing the news today I came across one very refreshing tidbit of a story. This one raises the bar for all the guys!



It's so cool how the guy used technology to bring romance back. Wish I were that creative and capable! This guy actually spent a couple months figuring out how to manipulate the program. Like I mentioned earlier, romance requires a genuine effort. In this day and age, to devote months to a task that can easily be done in other ways... that's a true romantic.


What do the ladies think of this one?

6 comments:

1/3 said...

I think that the guy spent the time to reprogram a game to propose was cute...but its still missing the personal factor.

I like getting sweet emails so I can reread them over and over again. But seeing something that is handwritten for you is more personal and endearing in my eyes. Anyway can type but someones handwriting is as unique as the person. I love it! lol

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

you know Im not very romantic personally. Sometimes I wonder if this is because Ive never been truely romanced, or if romance really is for sissys...

T said...

technology does kill romance, like when a guy chooses email over actually saying it to your face, or when both parties are too occupied with cellphones/blackberries/whathaveyou to enjoy time together.
and that story.. it just doesn't do it for me! maybe because im not a fan of video games. original though, ill give him that.

The Jaded NYer said...

should I even respond to this- I mean, I think my name says it all...

I can appreciate the time he put into that proposal- it shows he cares enough to work hard for her.

Was it romantic? Eh... romance to me is still the old-fashioned stuff, especially because no one does it anymore.

This year I started writing letters again- actual pen to paper letters... if I got one of those from a dude, that'd be pretty romantic :)

Pan/Thanatos said...

1/3 - You have a good point. It's that way with poetry for me, it's better to read it handwritten by the poet. Are you one of those "hopeless romantics?" by any chance?

mspuddin - Ehh, romance is kinda over-rated. Everyone's got their own idea of it. But hey.. don't knock it 'till you try it ;)

t - I totally agree. Relationships are becoming way too impersonal. This guy really raises the bar for the rest of us though...

Jaded - Oh man, if I had a nickel for every time my g/f complained that I don't write her actual love letters. I always just felt it was too corny and prefer to do that stuff in person.
As far as the old fashioned type of romance, I'm getting pretty jaded too =)

Anonymous said...

Good post.